The paleo diet, by gastroenterologist Walter L. Voegtlin, is one of the most natural ways to improve your health. To adhere to the paleo diet, one lives by the guiding principle that our bodies evolved to digest certain types of foods. Since the agricultural revolution came after our bodies evolved to digest meat, vegetables, berries, and nuts, paleo diet proponents argue that it is not healthy for our bodies to make them process wheat products, legumes, or starchy carbohydrates. These foods are some of the most nutrient dense but there are reasons to supplement. If you want a paleo multivitamin it’s worth knowing what to look for.
The idea of supplementing while living the paleo lifestyle is not inferring that our diets are not healthy but rather that there are nutrients that we might want more of. Thats the reason we made SIX Nutrition and why a Paleo multivitamin is worthwhile. The wholesome foods considered to be paleo include game meat, fish, vegetables, wild fruits, eggs, and nuts. As a general rule, these foods are high in animal fat and protein and low in carbohydrates and sugars. Here is a short list of reasons a paleo multivitamin, like SIX Nutrition, makes sense.
1. Most vitamins are tablets and are not readily absorbed. SIX Nutrition only uses the highest quality capsules for rapid and proper absorption. Whatever paleo multivitamin you choose, be sure to buy one that is encapsulated. See our post about tablet vs capsule vitamins here
2. It’s not necessarily important to get high amounts of omega-3, but it’s really important to balance omega-3 and omega-6 consumption. The goal is not to eat more and more omega-3 fats, but less and less omega-6. Don’t go overboard and try not to have any thought, they are essential fats after all. If you don’t frequently consume more omega-6 fats than our ancestors would have, you would probably benefit from either eating more wild oily fish or 1 or 2 grams of high quality fish oil per day in your Paleo Multivitamin
3. Probiotics improve the digestion of the foods you eat for the most natural pure energy from your normal foods.
4. Natural Energy from caffeine is superior to lab grown anhydrous caffeine. Green tea and Guarana seed extract have naturally smooth caffeine for all day energy.
5. Vitamin D- Unless you eat tons of wild caught oily fish and get plenty of sunlight exposure, chances are you would benefit from more vitamin D.
6. CoQ10.Heart disease is a major killer in our country, primarily because of our diet. A recent study in Japan revealed that clinically ill patients who suffered from severe heart failure readily absorbed ubiquinol CoQ10 into their bloodstreams and showed improvements in all health parameters.
7. The Paleo diet provides a far better mix than the typical American diet but when we make the change to Paleo, we are already starting with a deficit, as evidenced by bad body composition, poor energy levels, and altered hormones.
Most people making the change to the Paleo lifestyle are coming from diet that is usually not optimal, like a typical American diet. Moreover, the USA food supply is so altered that most Americans may not be getting the full nutritional value that they could or should get. This is the primary reason it is such a good idea to use a Paleo multivitamin.
Want to know more about paleo and how a Paleo multivitamin could be beneficial? Check out our what is Paleo blog post here.